Shaded area in quarry not captured in model
« on: September 29, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
Hi,
We did a job inside a mountainside quarry, GPS denied environment, so all flying was manual and photos captured manually.

The model created by 3D Survey excluded the area which was shaded due to the quarry wall.  Processing was carried out on the GeoCloud remote application.  How do I reprocess to ensure that this area is included in the model? 

(FYI:  the same dataset was processed by DroneDeploy and the model produced did include this shaded area)

Thanks
Re: Shaded area in quarry not captured in model
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 02:25:43 PM »
Hey John,

Can you send me the photos and any other data you might have for this project, so that I try processing them and see what the problem is?

You can send the images directly to me to support@3dsurvey.si
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
Hi Vid,

Thanks for the feedback, I will send an email with a link to our shared folder.

Cheers
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
Hello Vid,

Were you able to make any progress on that model?

Thanks
John
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
Hey John,

What exactly is the problem? Is it that ground classification did not select the wall here in the screenshot?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »
Hey Vid,

The opposite wall is the issue, it was not reconstructed with the model.  I have just returned from the quarry where we took a lot more photos in that area, so we will reprocess with additional images,
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
OK, that should help. For future projects like this - I recommend you fly a lot higher with your drone. Here your flight altitude was around 20m. 80m usually works best. Flying at this altitude will still give you accuracy better then 4 cm (usually around 2 cm), but you will need to record fewer images to achieve same overlap.